Bookwyrm: a resource in the Fediverse, that is now expanding

Hi everyone,
I am quite fascinated by resources that are available in the Fediverse. I discovered a few days ago Bookwyrm, actually Bookwyrm.it . It is dedicated to “book lovers” who can create reading lists (to-read, now-reading, read, with “virtual shelves”, comments etc. Books may be imported from other users (recommended) or created if no one else has already posted about such books. BTW I see many English books, much fewer Italian, and not so many German books (Bookwyrm.de is already there).
If someone is interested to know more, just reply!

gabriella

1 Like

Just one comment: for what I see, there is still few traffic now-jan 2024-on Bookwyrm.
Probably there shall never be a real need for a fediverse resource called Bookwyrm.tyrol (or the like :grin:) Maybe, in the future each school, each university, each bookstore that has created a community of readers, will create an own Bookwyrm instance, to stimulate people and citizens to read more?

Enjoy!
gabriella

In this page: What is BookWyrm? - Join the Fediverse
it is stated that: “You don’t need a BookWyrm account to follow BookWyrm users. You can do that from Mastodon.”

So, maybe each school or bookstore will have a Bookwyrm account, and people can follow them from their Mastodon account.

However I am not quite familiar with fediverse, and I don’t have a good idea or feeling about how these interactions look like.

Hi Dashamir!
I made some user-level tests. Yes it is quite easy to follow someone who is active on Bookwyrm. For example I see myself from my “toot” profile typing @ gabdodero @ bookwyrm.it (without blanks!) which is resolved as
Gabriella Dodero - BookWyrm.it – my profile there.
On bookwyrm.it I post only about books I read. I noticed that there are many books registered by other users (that can be imported without efforts as “read by me”, without duplicating the metadata) but only about recently published books. I read a lot of “older” books, authors that died long ago and whose books are outside of copyright. So I create metadata for those books, that no one so far has written about. I can also comment on books created by others, as soon as I read them.
I will “follow me” from toot into bookwyrm, to see what appears on Mastodon about what I write on bookwyrm. So I will let you know what users of Mastodon and users of Bookwyrm can exchange

Ciao
gabriella

1 Like

Hi Dashamir!

From my toot profile, after I followed myself on Bookwyrm, I receive on my “home” feed some toots about actions that I do on Bookwyrm. For instance a “toot” is created when I start reading a book, when I finish reading a book, and when I comment on books.
So, actions allowed on Bookwyrm (related to books) become automatically toots that followers receive in their feed.

That’s nice! people on Mastodon can follow what books their friends recommend for reading without enrolling on Bookwyrm!

Think of teachers who recommend books to students: teachers have a Bookwyrm profile, students need not have it, they can follow what the teacher recommends.

If you have some curiosity feel free to suggest me tests to do, now I start feeling at home on these platforms, at least as a user!

ciao
gabriella

1 Like

That’s nice indeed! It allows people to have a single account, and follow any activity on the Fediverse. Otherwise they would have to register/maintain a separate account for each Fediverse service that is out there (which becomes quickly unmanageable).

Thanks for testing and for sharing your experience with us!

Hi Gabriella! I hope you may show us (old guys) whay/how/when/where to use/not use what
Trying to stay tuned,
diego

Please cancel me, effective immediately, from TALK.

I see here proof that switching to new solutions is not always a good thing.

I am working on other issues and cannot / do not want to be distracted by all these incoming mails of absolutely no importance for me.

When the issue with talk was raised a few months ago I assumed that it was a different channel with voluntary participation. I prefer the style and content of emails.

Receiving in email copy all the short talk messages is nonsense. It gives the worst of two worlds. And I don’t want my email inbox cluttered with all these messages.

Again - please cancel my email address from “talk”, effective IMMEDIATELY. Thanks!

Gianguido

Maybe a small workshop is needed for this.
I doubt that it is possible to explain everything in a short message.
Just a suggestion.

Dashamir, this is what I was looking for, tnks. But… where do we do “is to go to your “Preferences” and then “Emails”, and disable all the emails, but enable “Activity Summary”” ?
diego

hi @gabriella.dodero on easter sunday after 'urbi et orbi" :slight_smile:

stupid question:

i read “request an invite-link” while clicking around on bookwyrm (-sites i think) …
i’ld like to find about “german” bookwyrm … starting from toot.lugbz.social ???
howto?

Ciao Toni, buona Pasqua :hatching_chick: Nice question for a rainy day!

AFAIK most of the data on Bookwyrm is about English books, but other languages are hosted as well. Not everything being published in Italian is there, I sometimes add books published in the early 2000s that I borrow from libraries, and that nobody has uploaded on Bookwyrm so far.

So, I searched for some German books from my account, and I was able to find them.
I looked for authors and titles that Amazon.de mentions as a 2024 blockbuster; if books are hosted somewhere in the Fediverse, then they can be found. Most german books I found actually are on Openlibrary.org, not necessarily on a .de website.

For example this book, currently No11 on Amazon.de,

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Stefanie-Stahl/dp/3424631078/ref=zg_bs_g_books_d_sccl_11/262-2530665-3651032?psc=1
is here:

https://openlibrary.org/works/OL23983500W/Das_Kind_in_dir_muss_Heimat_finden

I do not know if the second link is visible without a Bookwyrm account, I guess so, since a friend of mine can see “my books” without a bookwyrm account (not even from Mastodon, just by following a link to my profile).
So (probably) you can search and find on openlibrary.org, that looks quite a big search engine about books, whatever in German seems to be there, by inserting German titles or German authors (not by selecting a language, AFAIK).
Without a profile you cannot post what books you have read, comment on other people’s books, but you can (probably) see quite a lot of what is already there. The idea is: from a Mastodon account, you’ll follow someone on some Bookwyrm instance that is tooting about books you normally like (a publisher, an expert, just another reader…) so you get a toot when this person reads, comments etc. on your Mastodon Home feed, and then you may take these suggestions on a book to buy/borrow/read yourself.

Buona Pasquetta (weather forecasts are even worse for tomorrow)

gabriella